Saturday, January 1, 2011

Christmas, Moving and New Year

Just before Christmas, this story was relayed to me.  A friend of mine and her family have befriended some refugee families new to our area.  My friend was approached by one of the children in one of these families and he asked some very direct questions about Santa Claus.   The crux of his concern was this...the boy's school friends explained to him that Santa brings presents to good boys and girls.  He asked my friend, "I think I've been a good boy but Santa has never brought me a present.  Does this mean that I am a bad boy?"  Certainly part of our mythology is that Santa brings presents to children around the word, but in reality he only brings presents to children in certain places and of certain socio-economic status.  I have it on good authority that Santa did visit this family this year and the young boy was thrilled!

I hope that you and your family have had a good Christmas and a nice New Year. My sister, niece and I had a great time in Muskoka.  We went away for a few days.  Rachel, my 3 year old niece was thrilled and delighted about it all.  She was great fun.  Together we watched Shrek the Third, Toy Story 3 and Twisted.  I have to say my favorite is Shrek, while my sister finds Toy Story highly amusing.  Rachel seems to like them all!  

After Christmas, I returned to my apartment and continued packing in earnest.  Yesterday the movers came and made short work of moving all my stuff into storage.  I am spending a couple of quiet days with friends and then will go to Niagara Falls to help my sister celebrate her birthday on Monday.  On Tuesday, I'll be off Toronto to begin my two weeks of Global Service Orientation with 17 others from various denominations and locations  in Canada and the United States.  In my blog next Wednesday (sorry for the delay in posting this week, I had some internet issues), I hope to include a few photos.  I want to make sure that I understand how to do!

I wish you all a great 2011 and hope that you have year of good health, good learning and good times with family and friends.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Lynn

    I can't wait to hear how yesterday went. It sounds like you had a nice Christmas with you Niece and Sister. I miss you around here!!!!

    Denise

    ReplyDelete